Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Humility



Humility (n): the quality or state of being humble
Humble (adj): reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission; not costly or luxurious

(Notice the second part of the definition of humble - not costly or luxurious. Remind you of anything? I'll give you a hint - free from ostentation or display. The very definition of simplicity.)

It has taken me a lot longer than I expected to really wrap my head around this idea - ideal - of humility. After reading the dictionary definition of humble, I sat and considered that one phrase for so long: "reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference of submission". Bear in mind that I am the kind of person who can get lost clicking the linked words in Wikipedia articles (if you ever need an expert on Baby Doe Tabor, I'm your girl) until the wee hours of the morning, so my natural instinct is to look up the definitions of words used in definitions - infinitely. All that to say, I went on to look up deference and submission in order to better grasp humility.

Deference (n) [in deference to]: in consideration of

Submission (n): the condition of being submissive, humble, or compliant; an act of submitting to the authority or control of another

Forgive what I'm sure will be my fractured analysis of these words; I've never been very good at puzzles, and these words seem to fit together in a way that I haven't quite locked onto. I'll move from the bottom up.

Submission. The definition circles directly back to humility, but also touches on compliance and deference to authority of "another". I think it's important to figure out who this "another" is when working toward simplicity. For me, I think it's a combination of God via Jesus' example, and my inner self, who at her heart is much more rational and steady than she gives herself credit for. If I can visualize my true self as that calm, patient, consistent being, if I can submit to both the inner peace that I know is there and Jesus' example of a life consistently, patiently, and honestly lived, if I can be compliant with both my own rational side and Jesus' words and example, then I am halfway to humility. The interesting thing about this definition is its use of the word "condition". Submission is not simply an action completed when necessary, it's a state of being, a way of life. 

I understand that it's easy to walk out onto thin ice when talking about submission. There's a difference, I think, between being a doormat (to use the common analogy) and being humbly submissive. It's a big difference. I have this thing about being a doormat - I don't like to be one. So this is something that's much more easily said than done. My goal is to strike that balance, where I am still a whole and valid human being, but I am able to graciously submit to God, to others, and to myself.

On to deference: "in consideration of". This one comes more easily to me. I have unfortunately become less adept in being considerate of others, but this is a goal I can quantify and work toward in a more tangible way than submission. Refraining from speaking unkindly about others, acknowledging my mistakes, apologizing quickly and willfully when I need to, helping others when they ask for it, giving my full attention and energy to those I'm interacting with, and speaking and acting with grace and mercy. (There's a reason I have those two words permanently inked on my body.)

So combining these two things and throwing in the glue that holds them together - love (gag, I know, so cliche) - brings us to the elusive jewel: humility. Offering in a spirit of deference or submission. Reflecting, expressing, offering. In a way that is not costly or luxurious - also known as? Simply. 

Reflecting, expressing, offering in a spirit of deference or submission, in a simple way. 

So for the next few days, my goal is remembering humility. Remembering gracious submission and deference, without guise or display, without calling attention to it. Taking deep breaths and apologizing when I forget it. My goal is remembering it until it becomes a natural part of my self.


Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up. 
-James 4:10 (NIV)


For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. 
-Matthew 23:12 (NIV)



You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free... serve one another humbly in love. 
-Galatians 5:13 (NIV)

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to  your own interests but each of you to the interests of others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus...
-Philippians 2:3-5 (NIV)


Truth without humility would be an arrogant caricature... A man who wants to love the whole world including one who calls himself his enemy, knows how impossible it is to do so in his own strength. He must be as mere dust before he can understand the elements of ahimsa [nonviolence]. He is nothing if he does not daily grow in humility as he grows in love.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Whenever I interact with someone, 
May I view myself as the lowest amongst all, 
And, from the very depths of my heart, 
Respectfully hold others as superior.
-His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet, Training the Mind, Verse 2

No comments:

Post a Comment