Thursday, January 31, 2013

Meet Effie!

This is Effie, our new baby! She's a dilute calico/domestic short hair mix, and a rescue from the Look What the Cat Brought In shelter.

That's the Professor's Wife in the background. 


We picked her up last night. She's about nine months old, and she is as sweet and outgoing as can be. When she's not cuddling with Mom or Dad, she loves playing with her toys, scratching her post and running crazily from one room to the other. Granted, that last one is probably mostly dear-lord-where-am-I behavior, but it's still cute.

She's been adapting wonderfully to our home, and since I'm home this morning, I've been able to hang out with her and start figuring her out. Some things I've learned so far: In typical cat fashion, she loves sitting on my keyboard while I'm trying to use it. Any typos in this post will therefore be blamed on her.   She loves drinking out of people cups and will try to squish her face down into one, no matter what size, in order to get what's in it. This means I'll have to be much better about cleaning up my wine glasses. She also loves to sniff the Professor's shoes and spent quite a bit of time this morning exploring his half of the closet. And she's an excellent cuddler. After the Professor left for work this morning, Effie finally got tired of knocking papers off of the desk (they say the first night is the hardest) and climbed up into the bed with me, curled up, and napped there for an hour. She purrs in her sleep.

Can you tell I'm in love? The funny thing is, I've never been a cat person. We've always had dogs in my family, and because of allergies (including mine) we never had cats. The Professor and I had been talking about adopting a pet, and when we walked in and saw Effie we both loved her right away and it wasn't a tough decision to bring her home. So while we have to deal with the allergies (we stocked up on Claritin and Visine), we already feel like we got really lucky with Effie. She's great in a kennel in the car, she eats well and has already gotten used to the new litter box. It's like we were just waiting to find her, and she was waiting for us.

So now I have to interject and tell you what cute thing she's doing. I have my water cup right next to my computer and she's squashed her face down in there to get some, but every once in awhile she'll pop up and put her paw on my hand like she's helping me type.

I am totally turning into a cat lady.

-The Professor's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment