Thursday, January 9, 2014

Easy French Bread

Today I'm excited to bring you my recipe for easy French bread. I love baking, so rather than running to the store for a loaf of bread I'm much happier making it myself. This recipe has yet to fail me, and I hope it will serve you well too!
Found on Cairns Manor, adapted from Keep Home Simple.


Step one: If you're wearing any rings, take them off. I am so bad about this, and no online recipes ever say "Hey, take off your rings." And I always end up losing my rings in the dough or having to go and have them cleaned. So I'm saying it now. Take them off.

Step two: Gather your ingredients. Here's what you need:

Ingredients
2 - 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tbsp Yeast
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Oil
5 - 1/2 to 6 Cups Flour
I use high altitude flour because I live in Colorado - but any all-purpose flour will work!




Step three: Make your bread!

Pour the 2-1/2 cups of warm water into a large bowl. Add the yeast, then sprinkle the sugar over the yeast. Let this sit for five minutes or so, until the mixture gets foamy. If it doesn't foam up, your yeast is bad. Toss it and get fresh yeast.


Stir in your salt, oil, and flour. I like to mix mine up with a fork until it gets doughy enough to use my hands.



Once it's all mixed together, turn it onto a floured surface and knead it until it comes together. You don't have to knead for a long time, but I like my dough to make a soft-looking ball.


Wash your bowl - or get a new one - and oil the inside. Then turn your dough in the bowl so the top is oiled. This is especially important in our dry climate, because otherwise your dough will crust as it rises, and it's tough to reincorporate the crust when you shape your loaves. Cover with a warm wet cloth and let it rise. My dough usually takes 40 minutes to an hour to double.


After your dough has risen, preheat your oven to 400ยบ F. Punch the dough down and turn it onto a floured surface. Divide it in two, and shape each into a rectangle a little bigger than a piece of paper. Roll it longwise and tuck the ends. They should kind of look like big, doughy burritos.


Place the loaves side by side on a cookie sheet. I like to lightly flour my loaves on top to give them that nice crust. Use a sharp knife to slash the tops of the loaves at an angle.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are big and golden brown.


Delicious! Even the dog wants some. My loaves are accompanying stuffed mushrooms and butternut squash tonight - I can't wait!
If you let it stale, this bread is perfect for French toast or bread pudding.

Enjoy!

Oh, and don't forget to put your rings back on. Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment