Monday, September 23, 2013

Vacation!

Hurray! I finally got around to uploading all of my photos from our little trip to Aspen. We saw some fantastic bands, met some great people, stayed off the grid and generally just had an amazing time. The Professor has family in the area, so I got to meet some of them too, and they're great.

Thursday night, before we left for Aspen, we saw Sara Bareilles and OneRepublic at Red Rocks. First of all, Red Rocks is our absolute favorite venue. Second, what an incredible, incredible show. These were two artists that I've enjoyed on the radio, but seeing them live is an entirely different story. So, so talented. We will definitely make an effort to see them again.





Once we got to the festival, we had a bit of a bummer on the first night. We were supposed to see Grace Potter & The Nocturnals and Jason Mraz on Friday night, but when we got to the field it was pouring rain and we didn't really come prepared. We had a mishap with our blanket and then they sold out of ponchos - and being that the lightning was pretty close and we were in the middle of a big open field, we decided to cut our losses and go back to the cabin, where we played Dweebies and did a puzzle and drank some of our honeymoon mead, which was a gift from some friends. We were bummed to miss the bands, but we made it a good night anyway!



Saturday night was Little Big Town, Train, and Keith Urban. I'm not a huge country fan, but Little Big Town and Keith Urban know how to put on a show. Train, though - OH MAN. I had heard some negative things about Pat Monahan live, but it was all LIES. That show blew me away. They were so good.

Sunday we saw Paper Bird, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and Journey. Yes, JOURNEY. Paper Bird is a local band, and it's always so great to see local bands at big festivals like this. They have a great sound. We bought their album and chatted with the bassist for a bit. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - it looked like they had 25 people onstage. They might have. It was a really cool show, and they looked like unkempt hippies and vagabonds and everything I expected them to be from listening to their albums. JOURNEY THOUGH - you guys, this was on my bucket list. I never, ever thought that I would see them live. It was extraordinary. Rockstars. That's all I can say.
After getting our mac n' cheese, waiting
for the show to start
By the end of the night, we were friends with most of them.








So without further ado, the few remaining photos. I didn't take that many since my iPhone was off for most of the weekend, but I think I snapped a few good ones.


In the car, just before leaving Aspen

And that, folks, is why it's called Aspen




Independence Pass







And upon our return home, we were enthusiastically greeted by this cutie:
This wouldn't be The Professor and His Wife
without at least one picture of the cat.

And an update on what's been happening since our trip:

I started my new job at the elementary school, and I love it! It's my first experience in a formal classroom, and I am definitely out of my comfort zone with kindergarteners, but I'm learning quickly and the kids are great. My schedule has been madhouse crazy, but not as unmanageable as I was expecting.

The Professor has been mostly working what feels like 80 hours a week and in his off time, has taken up running and is enjoying football and the final season of Breaking Bad, which I will never enjoy nor understand. He is currently at the Broncos-Raiders game, so expect some kind of fanatical Facebook posts from him and, if I can convince him to take some, photos!

And the bummer: I've been sick for close to two weeks. I know I'm not superhuman, but my immune system is usually better than this. I went to the doctor and was on antibiotics, but they didn't do anything and I still feel as sick as when it started. So if anyone has any tips or tricks on losing a cold/sinus infection/whatever this is without jacking my body up with antibiotics again, I'm all ears.

Enjoy the photos! And if you've never been to Aspen/Snowmass, go. Totally worth it.

Happy Monday!
-The Professor's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment